Saturday, November 23, 2013

Prove

It was definitely hard to stay up to ride today...Have I mentioned I'm old-trained in Roadie ways..get up at 6am to ride, cocktail and sleep by 9?...Forced myself to stay up for it today. First time I have actually made it a point to do it in years.
It shouldn't be that way.
Ever.
But it is.
9-5. work. 6-9.cook, clean, homework. stories, hugs and kisses. get back in bed. no, there are no monsters-I assure you. Get out of bed again and I am waaaay scarier than any monster...etc..
10:30 cocktail and IonTV..criminal minds is on. sleep.
Damn...I forgot to ride
I'll ride tomorrow. and I will not stop until I pull a clean whip to backyard....whatever it is...yeah-- yeah BMX or die...
9-5. work. 6-9.cook, clean, dinner, homework. stories, hugs and kisses. get back in bed. no,.I'm sorry you have a tummy ache-next time when I say no candy I mean no candy-go to bed
10:30 cocktail and IonTV..criminal minds is on. sleep.
Damn...I forgot to ride
I'll...nevermind.
Years go by.
It is that way. Not a bad thing. Just how it is. Sorry twenty-somethings, this is you in ten years, if you keep your BMX soul.
That is the difference. I kept mine. I kept it on a shelf. Why did I shelve it? Not sure, awkward pause...but I want to get it back down now. To put it in language some of you might get-IDGAF.
IDGAF.
How much seatpost I have
How big I am
How old I am
How much I suck now
How Old-School I am 
If I use Brakes..
If I don't
If you really believe I am a rider or not

Here Is my advise for twenty something BMX'rs right now. Ride. Eventually-stop, have a family, a career, a puppy, a techno house party extravaganza extra dubified zombie spartan marathon running life.
Keep BMX in your head. You will come back to it. It is your Family. Your marathon. Your puppy.
and when you come back to it-remember to PROVE NOTHING

Prove it. I felt forever that I had to prove myself to my peers, my Co-Workers, my friends. So I didn't ride- I let BMX go. and now I can't bunny hop, or do a dork wheelie...yeah, yeah- I have some spinal issues...etc....that has been a legit setback, but an easy excuse, too.
I let it go, and now I can't back up my expectations of me. So I don't go ride.
No sorry fellas, I can't make it-my knee or back or hangnail...you know how it is....
Prove it.
Well, It took me a minute to realize that I need to prove nothing to anyone. I need to ride. BMX is my life. has always been, will be 'til I can't push the wheelchair. Frankly-those of you who discount me because I don't fit the uniform, or the slammed seatpost, or the huge over tooth to barspin...who are you again?. I don't need to prove myself to you. Tim, Matt, Eric, Dan, Tracy, Dave, Chris-You guys are all OG's. You know who you are. We proved it already-some of you are still proving it-So why do I feel the need to impress the industry I work in? I shaped the industry twenty five years ago, gapping stairsets and sprocket grinds the St. Greg's vent/grate thing-so much fun, how it is supposed to be....We have already proved it-So if you are in the same world as me, just get back on your bike-DGAF what anyone thinks is cool. Just ride-Maybe you find "new school" is your thing, or maybe you stick to Miami-Hoppers and Fastplants, awesome...Tonight I rode really poorly for two hours. It was like old times.Really.

Oh snap...Criminal Minds is on...gotta go.